So a few weeks ago, I let all of you know that I’ve been working on a special project that has kept some of my time and attention away from the blog. I’m excited to now be able to share that project with all of you!
We (G and I) are excited to announce that we are expecting a baby girl in December!
So needless to say, that has taken up a bit of my time and focus! Particularly in April and May when I was in the middle of all of the first trimester “fun” (nausea, indigestion, exhaustion, etc.) But now that I’m in the second trimester, I’m feeling better and looking forward to the rest of the pregnancy and – of course – the baby!
So that’s our special project announcement. I look forward to sharing more on the blog and our little Sparkle. But I promise it won’t become tooo over-the-top baby crazy!
I love DIY projects and crafts – I don’t always have a lot of time for them but when I can make time, I really enjoy them! So recently I made some DIY roman shades for our secondary guest room. I say secondary guest room, because our primary guest room is actually in the basement since it has an ensuite bathroom as well. But, at times when we have two guest rooms occupied (I love hosting!), we use our secondary guest room which is upstairs.
While that room is furnished and relatively comfortable – with easy access to the hall bathroom, I hadn’t had a chance to deal with window dressings since we moved into our house a year ago. While I don’t think it looked awful, I know that it created a lack of privacy and could lead to early wake-up calls, especially in the summer! So before we have family staying with us for the holidays, I wanted to make sure that we got that taken care of! The gift of privacy and sleeping in! 🙂
G actually passed this tutorial along to me and I immediately knew I wanted to try it! I will say that I think the results were pretty successful – I made two sets for the two windows and they turned out well. I wish our windows had been a bit deeper (or our blinds not as deep) and I also think that it wasn’t quite as cost effective as I thought it would be. I mean it wasn’t a lot more expensive than purchased roman shades – and I did get to pick my own, very nice fabric – but it wasn’t significantly cheaper either. If you already had the blinds, then it would be a big cost savings.
Definitely watch the video for detailed instructions but here’s the basic run through.
You start off with your supplies: faux wood blinds (like these), fabric, fabric glue, scissors, an iron and a tape measure. Plus a really big work space!
After gathering the supplies you cut the ladder strings (the ones that space out the slats), NOT the main string in the middle.
After removing the ladder strings, you need to break off the extra slats. The video recommends one slat for every seven inches of window height. However, I think I would space them out a bit farther if I did the project again – maybe every 8-9 inches.
Then you space out the slats on the fabric that you’ve cut to be the correct dimensions.
Then you’ll glue the fabric to the blinds on the edges and in the middle – being careful not to glue down the string which will make the blinds go up and down.
All laid out and drying! Note – the video suggests clothespins to hold the fabric down. I forgot to get these but they would have been VERY helpful!
And here they are – all finished!
And both of them in the room!
There it is – DIY roman shades to provide some privacy and sunrise protection for the guest room! This was a fun project – it took me about 2-3 hours to do both sets of blinds. (Not including hanging them up with G did the next day!) Check out the video tutorial if you’re interested in trying it yourself!
So I am a photo hoarder… I admit it. I confess. I love pictures – memories that are captured forever on 3×5 or 4×6 sheet of paper (or larger!). But keeping those photos organized and easy to access is challenging. And my husband, who is not a hoarder of any kind, doesn’t love boxes, envelopes and albums all over our house! So enter the photo organization project!
After purchasing some photo boxes for my mom for Christmas last year, I decided that would be a wonderful way to organize my pictures. It only took me 6 months to actually do it… but this week I gathered all of my photos (I had picked up a bunch of my OLD photos from my parents house late last year) and got ready to organize!
First, my supplies…
Some pretty sticker labels (I used these and these)
Then I got out all of my photos – and there were a LOT of them. I emptied out the various albums, sorted them through by category (including both specific things like “Prom” and more general things like “Elementary School”) and made sure to weed out the bad shots or the duplicate photos.
Here’s where I started….
While I was going through, I found some really special memories: a photo of my grandma and I taken in a photo booth at our local mall and a card that my little sister wrote me when I was away at a summer camp.
When I was finished, I had a colorful and organized box of photos. Now of course, I still have photos in frames and I still have two scrapbooks that I made when I was younger. But overall, I’m really happy with how it turned out and I think it will be easy to add to as I take and print more photos! I think I had a photo organization success!