So it’s that time of the year – where many people take the time to think about things they’d like to change or improve about themselves or their lives. In the past I’ve occasionally made New Year’s Resolutions, but always the large, general statements (e.g., I want to exercise more, read more, lose weight, etc.). Nothing that was specific or particularly “actionable” (to borrow a word from corporate slang. Because of that, it was hard to hold myself accountable. And now, of course, I have all of you to help me hold myself accountable. So I thought it would be a good year to make some more specific goals.
To prepare for making these resolutions, I’ve been reading a lot of articles about resolutions and goal-setting (I’ll share some of these in this week’s Midweek Sparkles). So I want to break down the goals by category and I’ve tried to make them as detailed/specific as possible. I’ve also tried to make all of the resolutions realistic in scope while still creating personal challenges and opportunities for growth!
So without further adieu, here are my New Year’s resolutions:
Health and wellness
- Make one “healthy” choice every day. This could be something as simple as walking up the stairs rather than taking the escalator at work, using less sugar in my tea, etc. Or it could be something more significant like going to the gym.
- Try three new workouts, activities, classes. I’d like to try to mix up my physical activity (right now I’m a solid treadmill/elliptical user) so I want to try three new physical activities over the course of the year.
- Read one non-comfort-zone book each month. So I read a LOT, but I often find myself reading the same genre/type of book or even re-reading books that I already own. So I’d like to branch out a bit and try new books. My mom and I have joined a book club, so that will definitely help with this goal but I’ll need to go a bit beyond that to make the once-per-month goal.
- Achieve basic proficiency with my mirrorless camera. As I mentioned, I recently bought a Sony Alpha a6000 mirrorless digital camera. But this camera is significantly more powerful (and complicated) than any other camera that I own. So I’d like to learn how to use it well. Because I’m striving to be specific with these resolutions, I think that basic proficiency will be achieved when I:
- Take two in-person classes or workshops on photography.
- Learn how to shoot in the four basic settings: MASP
- Become familiar with the menus and options.
- Follow 3-5 photography blogs
- Read 1-2 photography books
Home and family
- Declutter/organize one (small) area of the house each week. I don’t think I’ll ever be a minimalist – it’s not in my nature. However, G is definitely more of one and I can see his point about keeping things organized and the amount of “stuff” under control. So I’d like to take time each week to maintain that decluttered and organized status. Our house is pretty good right now – but there are a few closets that could use a comb through. I feel like the one per week cadence will help me keep up.
- Prioritize fun/new activities with family. I want to prioritize doing fun and/or new activities with G and our families. Although we have our normal family time, I’d like to make a point to do either new activities or activities that are outside of our normal routine with both G and our families. My goal is to do at least 6-10 special things over the course of the year.
My Simple Sparkles Goals
These are specific to this blog and what I’d like to accomplish here.
- Post at least 3-4 entries per week. Just increasing regularity and consistency in posting.
- Build readership to at least double my monthly average pageviews. I’m not sure if this is the best metric to focus on or not but it’s the one I’ve chosen and I think it’s at least a good place to start.
So that’s it – those are my resolutions/goals for the year! I plan to do monthly check-ins to share progress or challenges. What are your resolutions or goals for 2017?