For those who don’t share my obsession, we only have 10 more days to wait until Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life premieres on Netflix! As a primer for anyone who doesn’t know – the original Gilmore Girls series aired from 2000 to 2007 and follows the lives of – appropriately – the Gilmore Girls… a mother, daughter and grandmother. Although the first six seasons were brilliant, there was a bit of a drop off (OK, a major dropoff) in the seventh season due to the loss of the show’s original creators. And I think I speak for most Gilmore Girls fans when I tell you that the ending of the series was… awful.
For years, Gilmore Girls fans have been calling for a reunion… a movie… anything really that could fix what the seventh season did! And our wishes were finally answered – Netflix has brought back almost the entire original cast to do a four part follow-up series which will pick up the lives of the Gilmore Girls almost 10 years after the last series ended. I personally CAN NOT wait. And now we only have 10 days!
So to help make it through this home stretch, I’ve put together a list of 10 of my favorite things about Gilmore Girls (in no particular order).
- Strong Female Characters: Gilmore Girls is full of strong, intelligent and independent female characters… Not perfect by any means but female characters that make decisions for themselves. Lorelai, Rory, Emily, Paris, Lane… all qualify! Also, on the character front…
- Positive, Multi-Dimensional Characters: There are zero main characters – that I can think of at least – that I distinctly dislike or cannot find any redeeming qualities in. Sure, there are characters that I like more than others and I don’t like all of the characters all of the time – but in times of a lot of negativity and hatred, I really appreciate being able to turn on a show and find something likable or sympathetic about pretty much every character in the show. Brightens my day!
- Witty, humorous dialogue: This is probably the trademark of Gilmore Girls, fast-paced, keep-up-if-you-can dialogue. While admittedly I miss many of the pop culture references, it never fails to bring a smile to my face.
- Sookie: I mean to say nothing of Melissa McCarthy’s comedic genius and amazing talent, I can not begin to describe how much I love Sookie. She’s quirky, fun, caring, loving, and the list goes on and on. And on top of all of this – I love how the show treats her character. Her weight – which fluctuates throughout the show – is never brought up as a topic (except when she’s tired of being pregnant and wants the babies to come, but we all know that’s a different kind of weight). I appreciate that we can all love Sooke for who she is – a beautiful, funny and not a size 2 – without the show needing to feel the need to draw attention to it or even comment on it.
- The unashamed love of a holiday, any holiday: I love holidays. Any reason to celebrate, bring friends and family together, or really just be in a positive, happy mood is a win for me. And unlike some shows on TV that just have the standard annual holiday episodes, Gilmore Girls fully embraces any reason to celebrate and they bring their own quirky sense of joy to every occasion!
- Love of learning:Every time I re-watch Gilmore Girls (and I have done so several times), I find myself yearning for the days of classes, homework and learning. I get inspired to read a new novel or listen to a new podcast.
- Stars Hollow: If Stars Hollow really existed, I would love there lickety split! (Although G may not approve… I could probably convince him!) The idyllic landscape and amazing people, the worst crime being a stolen garden gnome, aforementioned holiday celebrations and festivals… what’s not to love?!
- Flaws: To follow-up on the whole multi-dimensional character idea – all of the characters have flaws as well, and the show doesn’t shy away from allowing the characters to make mistakes… even big mistakes. From (temporarily) dropping out of school to less-than-ideal romantic trysts, even our favorite characters make mistakes – but that makes them more real.
- The Dragofly Inn (and Independence Inn): I know have a secret desire to own and run a country inn. How can you resist the charming interiors, seemingly delicious restaurants and beautiful surroundings!
- (Last, but not least!) The Gilmore Girls Fan Sisterhood: Now I really don’t mean to leave out the guys – I know there are male fans out there – but in my personal life, it’s been a sisterhood of Gilmore Girls fans. Many of my best friends as well as my mom and I have bonded over a shared love of Gilmore Girls. In fact, I have a viewing marathon for A Year in the Life planned with one of them! I can’t help but love a show that brings friends and family together!
So that’s it! 10 of my favorite things about Gilmore Girls. Now I just have to make it through the next ten days…!