All right – well it’s the last day of January, so time for a monthly check-in on my goals for 2017. Earlier this month, I shared my approach for goals/resolutions this year as well as an outline of what I’d like to accomplish! To help my accountability, I promised to check-in monthly on my progress – so here it goes!
HEALTH AND WELLNESS – January Progress
- Make one “healthy” choice every day. This could be something as simple as walking up the stairs rather than taking the escalator at work, using less sugar in my tea, etc. Or it could be something more significant like going to the gym.
- I’ve actually been pretty good at this – I would say about 90%. I’ve been going to the gym 3-5 times per week and keeping a close eye on my FitBit has really kept me motivated!
- Try three new workouts, activities, classes. I’d like to try to mix up my physical activity (right now I’m a solid treadmill/elliptical user) so I want to try three new physical activities over the course of the year.
- I did a yoga class! Now – I’ve done yoga before but not since high school gym class which I don’t think counts. It was nice to try it out and I really like the mindfulness of yoga; however, my balance is not good. Flexibility-wise I’m actually good and I was OK at the strength – but I had a tendency to topple. Maybe I need to work on my core strenght?
PERSONAL GROWTH – January Progress
- Read one non-comfort-zone book each month. So I read a LOT, but I often find myself reading the same genre/type of book or even re-reading books that I already own. So I’d like to branch out a bit and try new books. My mom and I have joined a book club, so that will definitely help with this goal but I’ll need to go a bit beyond that to make the once-per-month goal.
- I read The Girl On the Train (review here!) so I’m off to a good start.
- Achieve basic proficiency with my mirrorless camera. As I mentioned, I recently bought a Sony Alpha a6000 mirrorless digital camera. But this camera is significantly more powerful (and complicated) than any other camera that I own. So I’d like to learn how to use it well. Because I’m striving to be specific with these resolutions, I think that basic proficiency will be achieved when I:
- Take two in-person classes or workshops on photography. – One down! My mom and I just took a basics class at a local school. More information on that class coming soon!
- Learn how to shoot in the four basic settings: MASP – This was definitely part of the beginners class! Now to work on practicing with them!
- Become familiar with the menus and options.
- Follow 3-5 photography blogs Check! I follow several blogs including: FStoppers, Digital Photography School and Photography Life.
- Read 1-2 photography books – Still selecting these, any suggestions?
HOME AND FAMILY – January Progress
- Declutter/organize one (small) area of the house each week. I don’t think I’ll ever be a minimalist – it’s not in my nature. However, G is definitely more of one and I can see his point about keeping things organized and the amount of “stuff” under control. So I’d like to take time each week to maintain that decluttered and organized status. Our house is pretty good right now – but there are a few closets that could use a comb through. I feel like the one per week cadence will help me keep up.
- Need to work on this! I did my desk, the front closet and the kitchen cabinets. So 3/5?
- Prioritize fun/new activities with family. I want to prioritize doing fun and/or new activities with G and our families. Although we have our normal family time, I’d like to make a point to do either new activities or activities that are outside of our normal routine with both G and our families. My goal is to do at least 6-10 special things over the course of the year.
- This is also one I need to work on – although I’ve done some planning for activities! (Winter is not our favorite time to explore – but we’re planning fun things for spring, summer!)
MY SIMPLE SPARKLES GOALS – January Progress
These are specific to this blog and what I’d like to accomplish here.
- Post at least 3-4 entries per week. Just increasing regularity and consistency in posting.
- I only missed one week this month which is pretty good!
- Build readership to at least double my monthly average pageviews. I’m not sure if this is the best metric to focus on or not but it’s the one I’ve chosen and I think it’s at least a good place to start.
- Readership is growing! I’ve seen about a 10% rise this month!
So, a few areas that I need to refocus on, but overall I think this goal structure is working pretty well for me. Things have been absolutely insane at work (and will be until one week from Friday – can you tell I have a countdown…!? ), but I’ve still been able to work towards the other things I want.
So that’s my January update. How are all of you doing on your goals?